Martha Ann Gantt
- Born: 3 Jun 1833, SC
- Marriage (1): Issachar X. Gauntt
- Died: 28 Oct 1914, Alabama, USA at age 81
- Buried: Gauntt Family Cemetery, Gantt Mill Rd., East Tallassee, Tallapoosa Co., AL 1
According to Ida, after her husband died, Martha "continued to run the plantation, riding over the acreage side saddle on horseback, with her long dress and petticoats flowing in the wind."
After the war, (again citing Ida's words), when the war was over, the slaves (approx. 35), chose to stay with the family when they were given their freedom. Martha gave each slave family 5 acres of land and built a house for them. They adopted the name Gauntt, and to the day Ida wrote these words, "the slaves descendants still live on the inherited land."
Ida described her grandmother as being a "stately lady, held in high esteem by all who knew her."
Tombstone reads, "Asleep in Jesus" Martha A. Gauntt, Une 3, 1833-Oct 28, 1914 "Rest Mother Rest in quiet sleep, while friends in sorrow o'er thee weep." GAUNTT
According to Ida Lucille Gauntt Woodall, Martha died in her sleep sitting in her favorite rocking chair.
1. Has Children Charley S. GAUNTT b: ABT. 1857 in Unknown
2. Has Children Theopholis Fisk GAUNTT b: 1858 in AL
3. Has Children Joseph Lane GAUNTT b: 3 SEP 1860 in AL
4. Has No Children Ellie L. GAUNTT b: 16 OCT 1862 in Unknown
5. Has No Children Jacob Kelly GAUNTT b: 6 JAN 1865 in Unknown
6. Has Children Elizabeth Ceres GAUNTT b: 28 DEC 1866 in AL
7. Has Children Isachor Hiram GAUNTT b: 1871 in Unknown
8. Has Children Israel X. GAUNTT b: UNKNOWN in Unknown
9. Has Children Valula Ann GAUNTT b: 20 AUG 1853 in AL
Martha married Issachar X. Gauntt, son of Jacob Israel Gauntt and Mary Gunter. (Issachar X. Gauntt was born on 24 Sep 1820 in SC, died on 4 Dec 1870 in Tallasse, Tallapoosa, AL and was buried in Gauntt Family Cemetery, Gantt Mill Rd., East Tallassee, Tallapoosa Co., AL.)