|Henry C. Diehl
Henry C. Diehl 1
Another name for Henry was Heinrich Diehl.
Henry C. Diehl, spent the first eight years of his life in Philadelphia and then lived on his father's farm till he grew to manhood. Note: Baptism record for Henry Diehl at Oley Reformed Church, Berks County, PA indicate that this is not correct). He became a farmer in Berks County. April 1, 1845, Henry left Pennsylvania for Ohio at the time of the Pittsburgh fire and stopped a while at Johnstown on the way. He finally arrived in Pickaway County, Ohio with fifty cents in his pocket. He had a hard time finding employment, but subsequently engaged in farming till April, 1851, when he came to Illinois, arriving in this State April 18, and, locating in Cartwright Township was engaged in agriculture there. In 1858 he bought a farm of forty acres and later bought eighty-nine acres of land on the Sangamon River in Menard County, where he resided till 1864. He then sold his property in that county and bought twenty acres of land in Gardner Township, which he cultivated till he retired from active work in 1883. He now resides with a daughter, Mrs. Hornbuckle, near Petersburg. He was in former times a Whig, but joined the Republican party on its formation and was a loyal Lincoln man. In Ohio he was connected with the United Brethren Church. Since coming to this State he has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. (Source: Portrait Biographical Album of Sangamon County, Illinois, Chapman Bros, Chicago, 1891)
Noted events in his life were:
• Residence: U.S. Census, 1880, Gardner, Sangamon, Illinois. Age 71
Henry married Hannah Lease, daughter of John Lease and Mary Melot, on 5 Sep 1830 in Berks County, Pennsylvania, USA. (Hannah Lease was born on 27 Aug 1805 in Oley Township, Berks County, Pennsylvania, christened on 20 Oct 1805 in Oley Reformed Church, Berks County, PA, died in Dec 1883 in Illinois, USA and was buried in Petersburg, , Ilinois.)
Sharon Lang (http://www.genealogy.com/users/l/a/n/Sharon-Lang/FILE/0002text.txt).