Francis Bream 1
- Born: Jul 1806
- Marriage (1): Elizabeth Slaybaugh in 1842 in Idaville
Chapter LII, pp. 397-404, "Cumberland Township"
FRANCIS BREAM (deceased) was a son of Henry Bream, whose father came to this county, from Germany, early in the eighteenth century. Henry Bream was born and reared near Ground Oak Church, on Bermudian Creek, two miles from Idaville, in the northeastern part of Adams County, now Huntington Township. Here he married, and followed agriculture, owning the farm, which still belongs to one of his grandchildren. Here he lived until he was an old man, having reared three sons and several daughters, of whom Francis was the second son. Our subject was born in July, 1806, was reared on the farm, and received a common school education. He used to say that the first thing he undertook, when quite a young man, was to chop 200 cords of wood for the furnace, which was then in operation near Whitestown, now known as Idaville. When yet quite a young man he and a friend took a trip to the State of Ohio, then considered the far West, going on foot by way of Pittsburgh, and after remaining through the winter they concluded to return to this county, and, having made some money during their stay threshing out rye with a flail, they bought a pair of horses and rode home. A few years later he was elected constable, it then being the custom for one officer to do the business of several townships, which kept him busy almost all the time. After serving as constable several years, he kept hotel in Idaville. In 1842, while living at Idaville, at the age of thirty years, he married Miss Elizabeth Slaybaugh, a daughter of an old resident of German descent, living in the same neighborhood. The following fall he was nominated and elected sheriff of Adams County, and made a very creditable officer. His term of office having expired, he bought the old and well-known Marsh Creek farm and "Black Horse" tavern, then the property and home of the McClellans, an old and well-known English family, who were among the first settlers on Marsh Creek. This property is two and one-half miles west of Gettysburg, on the Hagerstown road; the farm contained over 400 acres, the buildings being situated on the banks of Marsh Creek, which runs through the middle of the farm. Here he followed farming and kept a hotel, and, also, several years later, bought the Mineral Mills property adjoining his place on the south, which property contained a large flouring-mill, saw-mill, and seventy acres of land and two sets of buildings. Being honest, upright, and a good manager, he was able, in his older days, to become the owner of two more farms in his neighborhood. Mr. Bream and his good wife were blessed with a large family, having reared six sons and two daughters. Several years before his death, becoming old and not caring to have so much business to attend to, he cease keeping hotel. He also divided his large farm into three parts, he remaining at the home place, and two of his sons, Harvey D. and R. William, each taking one of the others, which are now very finely improved properties. His sons had by this time all married, and gone into business for themselves, except his youngest son, Robert, who lived with his father until his death, and now owns the old homestead. Mr. Bream was a very loser during the battle of Gettysburg, his growing crops and fencing all being destroyed, and all his buildings used as hospitals for several weeks after the battle. His damages were afterward appraised at $7,000, for which he never received any compensation. His death occurred at his home in 1882. 2
Francis married Elizabeth Slaybaugh in 1842 in Idaville.