Symon Tuttle 1
- Born: Unknown
- Marriage (1): Isabel Wells in 1557 in Northampton, England
- Died: 15 Jun 1630, Ringstead, Northamptonshire, England
- Buried: Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Churchyard, Ringstead, Northamptonshire, England
Symon Tuttle, father of the 1635 immigrant brothers Richard, John and William Tuttle to Massachusetts, d. testate and was bur. June 15, 1630 at Ringstead, Northampton, England.
According to a parish burial record provided by a descendant, "Simon Tootell" is interred at the churchyard of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary at Ringstead. Unfortunately, after posting a photo request a volunteer at Ringstead reported:
• I searched the entire cemetery and could not find the grave. There are quite a lot of worn and illegible markers, although in total there are not that many markers, which was surprising. The area to the South of the church is very, very overgrown but I do not think the grave you seek would be there. I looked for a guide book in the church but found nothing. It could be that somebody with historical knowledge of the church knows where this grave is...
The present focus of this memorial is Simon's three sons who emigrated together with their families as passengers of the "Planter" to New England in April 1635:
• i. Richard Tuttle, b. circa 1582, d. May 8, 1640 at Boston, Mass.; m. June 19, 1622 at Barnwell St. Andrew, Northampton, Eng., Ann Taylor; four children of the marriage; emigrated to New England with their three surviving children (Hannah, John and Rebecca) along with Richard's widowed mother Isabel also listed with the family.
• ii. John Tuttle, b. circa 1596, d. Dec. 30, 1656 at Carrickfergus, 11 miles north of Belfast, county Antrim, Northern Ireland; m. by early 1628 the widow Joan (Antrobus) Lawrence; five children of the marriage; emigrated to New England with their four eldest children (Abigail, Simon, Sarah and John) along with Joan's five surviving children by her first husband (Jane and her husband George Giddings,[*1] John, Thomas,[*1] William and Marie Lawrence) along with Joan's widowed mother Joan (Arnold) Antrobus also listed with this family.
• iii. William Tuttle, bapt. Dec. 26, 1607, d. suddenly in June 1673 at New Haven, Conn.; m. by early 1631 Elizabeth, who with their three eldest children (John, Ann and Thomas) emigrated to New England. Twelve children of the family, the nine youngest b. in New England.
[*1] George Giddings and his wife Jane Lawrence are on the same list but in a different location; Joan's son Thomas, then 15 years of age, is not listed but assumed to be an error by the port scribe.
Symon married Isabel Wells, daughter of John Wells and Wife of John, in 1557 in Northampton, England. (Isabel Wells was born in 1565 in England and died on 6 Apr 1635 in Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusetts, USA.)