Charles F. Conrad 1
- Born: 23 Sep 1870, Summit, Smithfield Township, Dekalb County, Indiana, USA 2
- Marriage (1): Effie O. McAllister on 13 Jun 1895 in Dekalb County, Indiana, USA
- Died: 20 Sep 1948, Ashley, Dekalb County, Indiana, USA at age 77
- Buried: 23 Sep 1948, Circle Cemetery, Hudson, Steuben County, Indiana, USA 2
Notes from David Leas:
Smithfield Twp, Dekalb Co., IN 1860 Census listed him as 7 years old. That would mean that he was born in abt 1853.
The Dekalb Co., IN 1910 census shows him as 39 years old. This means that he was born in abt 1871.
The 1871 birth date makes sense because his wife, Effie, was born in 1875. On the other hand, the 1853 birthdate makes sense because that was about when his sisters were born. The census shows an male named, Allison Conrad, who was born in 1853. This would be Charles' brother, Henry Allison Conrad.
Funeral booklet obituary:
Charles Conrad, youngest child of John and Tracy Nye Conrad, was born on September 23, 1870 on a farm near Summit, Smithfield Township, Indiana, and departed this life at his home west of Ashley, Indiana, September 20, 1948, at the age of 77 years, 11 months and 27 days.
His mother was born in Luxemburg and came to America at the age of seven. His father was born in Fremont, Ohio. The parents came to Indiana in 1850 by oxcart and settled near Summit. He is the last member of this family to pass away, three brothers and two sisters preceded him in death.
He was united in marriage to Effie McAllister on June 13, 1895. To this union were born four children: Elizabeth, March 21, 1897: Audrey, June 4 1900; Gerald, April 28, 1905; Evelyn, April 23, 1908.
Early in life he attended and was converted at the Barker's Chapel church. He later attended the Methodist church in Hudson. In 1943 he was re-converted and taken into the Nazarene Church of Ashley-Hudson. He was a life-long resident of Dekalb County.
He is survived by a son, Gerald, Eaton Rapids, Mich.: three daughters, Mrs. Elizabeth Fousnought, Fort Wayne; Mrs. Audrey Frayer, St John's, Mich., and Mrs. Evelyn Stough, Eaton Rapids, Mich.; ten grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren, a number of other relatives and host of friends.
Funeral services were held Thursday afternoon, September 23, 1948, at 2:00 o'clock at the Ashley-Hudson Church of the Nazarene with the Rev, Jesse Martin, pastor of the church officiating, assisted by the Rev. Charles Brand. Interment was made in Circle Cemetery west of Hudson. 2
Noted events in his life were:
• Residence: US Census, 1880, Smithfield Township, Dekalb County, Indiana, USA. Age 10
• Residence: US Census, 1900, Ashley, Dekalb County, Indiana, USA.
• Residence: US Census, 1910, Fairfield Township, Dekalb County, Indiana, USA.
• Residence: US Census, 1920, Dekalb County, Indiana, USA.
• Residence: US Census, 1930, Fairfield Township, Dekalb County, Indiana, USA. Living with Charles and Effie was their grandson, Glenn Westbrook.
Charles built this house.
Source Citation: Year: 1930; Census Place: Fairfield, De Kalb, Indiana; Roll: 585; Page: 6A; Enumeration District: 4; Image: 635.0.
• United States Census: Residence, 1940, Fairfield Township, Dekalb County, Indiana, USA. Age 69. Also living with Charles was his grand-daughter, Thelma, Thelma's husband, Gene Leas and their two children, Carole and Norman.
Charles married Effie O. McAllister, daughter of James H. McAllister and Elizabeth Jane Collier, on 13 Jun 1895 in Dekalb County, Indiana, USA. (Effie O. McAllister was born on 20 Jul 1874 in Sebewa, Ionia County, Michigan, USA,3 4 died on 31 Oct 1936 in Fairfield Township, Dekalb County, Indiana, USA and was buried in Circle Cemetery, Hudson, Steuben County, Indiana, USA.)
Noted events in their marriage were:
• Marriage License: Application for Marriage, 12 Jun 1895, Dekalb County, Indiana, USA. 5