James Leonard McGinness 2
- Born: 27 Sep 1877, Lafayette County, Missouri, USA
- Marriage (1): Sophia Leas in 1914 in Higginsville, Lafayette, Missouri 1
- Died: 6 Nov 1946, Higginsville, Lafayette Co, Missouri at age 69
- Buried: Higginsville City Cemetery
Received in an e-mail from Val Mcguiness:
"In our family, at least as far back as my grandfather, the name in your research needs another "s" at the end of it... McGinness is correct, as opposed to McGinnes."
1. Leonard and Sophia were farmers in the Higginsville area of LaFayette County, Missouri. Sophia was a daughter of Casper Henry Leas b. Germany and Ellen Delane Majors Leas d. (reportedly) 1939. Casper came to the United States at age 11. He died previous to Ellen. Casper's parents were Henry Leas and Fredericka (nee?) Leas. Ellen's father was Robert Majors.
2. Sophia married Ernest Colson in either April of 1947 or April 1948. She later married DeWilton Robinson b. Tuesday, December 31, 1907. DeWilton was last reported living at an Odd Fellows nursing home in western Missouri.
3. Daughter Jane McGinness Remillard has said that her mother was very active in the Church, as well as church missionary work. She planted and worked in gardens and flowers around her home.
Find A Grave:
Leonard McGinness married the former Sophia Leas in 1914. She was a daughter of Prussian-born Casper Henry Leas (2) and the former Ellen Delane Majors. Old Prussia was later divided into multiple countries, and Sophie's family gave their country of origin as Germany, whenever speaking to American officials.
Leonard and Sophie started out as farmers, and raised a sizeable family, including seven children who grew into adults, and one died as an infant.
Leonard pre-deceased Sophia by numerous years, yet she was buried next to him as a McGinness, although her married name was actually Robinson. 3
James married Sophia Leas, daughter of Casper Henry Leas and Ellen Delane Majors, in 1914 in Higginsville, Lafayette, Missouri.1 (Sophia Leas was born in Jul 1897 in Lafayette County, Missouri, USA and died on 4 Feb 1971.)