Primula (Primmie) Susan Rollo
- Born: 18 Feb 1918, United Kingdom 1
- Marriage (1): James David Graham Niven on 21 Sep 1940 in Huish, Wiltshire, England.
- Died: 21 May 1946, Los Angeles County, California, USA at age 28
- Buried: Huish Church, Wiltshire, England
"The Nivens along with a number of other Hollywood notables like Rex Harrison, Lilly Palmer, Gene Tierney, and others went to the Monterey Bay retreat of Clark Gable for a restful weekend. On their first night there someone suggested a then-popular (in Hollywood) game called "Sardines". In this game all the lights in the house were turned off and one person designated as "it" went off to hide somewhere in the house., After a short interval the remainder of the people set off groping around the house until they located "it"--it took a lot of groping when you found anyone to determine if it was "it".After some interval the lights were turned on and everyone rested a bit before a new "it" was designated. In one of these lighted intervals it was noted that Primmie was missing and a thorough search of the house revealed that the door to the cellar stairs was open. Primmie was lying at the bottom of the stairs with a fractured skull and lacerated brain. She had confused the cellar door with an adjacent closet door. She died later that same evening at the age of 28."
They went that-a-way
Date: 19 May 2001
Primula Susan Rollo1
F, #183112, b. 18 February 1918, d. 21 May 1946
Primula Susan Rollo|b. 18 Feb 1918\\nd. 21 May 1946|p18312.htm#i183112|Captain Hon. William Hereward Charles Rollo|b. 1890\\nd. 3 Oct 1962|p18312.htm#i183113|Lady Kathleen Nina Hill|b. 15 Sep 1898\\nd. 30 Nov 1960|p18312.htm#i183114|Hon. Eric N. Rollo|b. 17 Feb 1861\\nd. 12 Apr 1930|p4591.htm#i45907||||Arthur W. J. W. T. Hill, 6th Marquess of Downshire|b. 2 Jul 1871\\nd. 29 May 1918|p3811.htm#i38104|Katherine M. Hare|b. 1 Oct 1872\\nd. 2 Feb 1959|p3811.htm#i38101|
Last Edited=24 Feb 2007
David Niven, and his wife Primula2
Primula Susan Rollo was born on 18 February 1918.1 She was the daughter of Captain Hon. William Hereward Charles Rollo and Lady Kathleen Nina Hill.1 She married James David Graham Niven, son of William Edward Graham Niven and Henriette Julia Degacher, on 21 September 1940 at Huish, Wiltshire, England.1 She died on 21 May 1946 at age 28 at Hollywood, California, U.S.A., from an accidental fall down a flight of stairs, while playing a game of charades.1
Primula Susan Rollo fought in the Second World War, in the Women's Auxiliary Air Force.1 From 21 September 1940, her married name became Niven.1
Children of Primula Susan Rollo and James David Graham Niven
* David Niven, Jr. b. c 19433
* James Niven+ b. c 19463
1. [S203] Announcements, The Times, London, U.K., 30 July 1983. Hereinafter cited as The Times.
2. [S300] Michael Rhodes, "re: Ernest Fawbert Collection," e-mail message from <e-mail address> (Harrogate, North Yorkshire) to Darryl Roger Lundy, 8 February. Hereinafter cited as "re: Ernest Fawbert Collection".
3. [S1122] Michael Rhodes, "re: updates," e-mail message from <e-mail address> (Harrogate, North Yorkshire) to www.thepeerage.com, 8 July 2004. Hereinafter cited as "re: updates".
Primula married James David Graham Niven, son of William Edward Graham Niven and Henriette Julia Degacher, on 21 Sep 1940 in Huish, Wiltshire, England. (James David Graham Niven was born on 1 Mar 1910 in Kirriemuir, Angus, Scotland Or London, died on 29 Jul 1983 and was buried in Chateau D'oex, Vaud, Switzerland.)