- Born: 17 Aug 1789, Lewisburg, Union, PA
- Marriage (1): Cherokee Hawkins on 10 Aug 1819 in Jone County, Georgia
- Died: Abt 1 Sep 1879, San Marcos, Hays, TX about age 90
Served in the War of 1812 as 2nd Lieut. in Captain Barker's Company, 42n Regiment of US Infantry. Served in both Seminole Indian Wars under Gen. Andrew Jackson, and under General Patterson in the Florida Indian war. Promoted to Captain in 1817. Moved to Georgia in 1818. Married in 1819, and moved to Water Valley, MS in 1839. When Ulysses S. Grant occupied Water Valley and burned his home, his net worth went from a quarter-million dollars to nothing over-night. He then set his slaves free. He was 75 years-old, but went to Virginia and fought through the Second Battle of Manassas. Lewis Lawshe moved from Georgia in 1839 and bought a 640 acre farm in Water Valley, Yalobusha Cty, Mississippi, owned in 1973 by R.B. Lawshe. He later moved to San Marcos, Texas to live with his daughter, Mary, and died there. A Lawshe cemetery in Water Valley is overgrown, and attempts to locate it in 1998 failed.
"He died at the residence of his son-in-law, Dr. Woods ... was the oldest inhabitant of this vicinity."
"Belived to have been the oldest member of the Masonic fraternity in the State of Texas."
San Marcos, Texas "Free Press" 6 Sep 1879.
Though some insist he was known as Lewis Madison Lawshe, articles, obituaries and his tombstone indicate "Louis Lawshe."
1. Has No Children Isaac H. Lawshe b: 10 SEP 1820 in GA
2. Has Children William Emory 'Henry' Lawshe b: 29 OCT 1822 in Bibb Co., GA
3. Has No Children <Son> Lawshe b: 8 DEC 1824
4. Has Children Lewis Madison Lawshe , Jr. b: 17 MAR 1826 in Macon, Bibb Co., GA
5. Has No Children Benjamin Hawkins Lawshe b: 24 MAY 1828
6. Has Children Georgia Ann Virginia Lawshe b: 31 JAN 1831 in Bibb Co., GA
7. Has Children Joseph Hawkins Lawshe b: 24 AUG 1833
8. Has Children Jeffersonia Elizabeth Lawshe b: 9 JAN 1836 in Bibb Co., GA
9. Has No Children James Francis Lawshe b: 9 DEC 1838 in Bibb Co., GA
10. Has No Children Ellen A. R. Lawshe b: 5 OCT 1843 in Water Valley, Yalobusha, MS
11. Has Children Mary C. Lavinia 'Love' Lawshe b: 25 AUG 1845 in Water Valley, Yalobusha, MS
12. Has No Children John A. Lawshe b: 26 FEB 1849
Lewis married Cherokee Hawkins, daughter of Benjamin Hawkins and Lavinia Downs, on 10 Aug 1819 in Jone County, Georgia. (Cherokee Hawkins was born on 16 Mar 1805 in Georgia and died on 26 Feb 1849 in Water Valley, Yalobusha, MS.)